Pages

February 11, 2010

Minimalist Resolutions - Taking It One Day At A Time


Creative cardboard tube use :)

I'm becoming a minimalist.

No, seriously. I'm taking it one tiny step at a time (and a couple of huge ones along the way, like creating this blog). A couple of days ago, an idea stepped carefully into the vast (and cluttered!) realms of my mind (both the conscious and the unconscious parts) - why don't I make one minimalist decision every day? That day, that Monday the 1st, it was only about giving an old textbook I realized I wasn't going to use anytime in the future to a friend of mine who had already borrowed it from me.

Normally I would have never thought about getting rid of that textbook, because I did pay quite a lot for it and there was, as always, that tiny voice in my head telling me that I'll surely want to reread it someday. (It's a Croatian Sign language lessons textbook, in case anyone's interested - and yeas, I did enjoy the lessons and will probably want to go through them again in the future, but - as I realized that Monday - it surely won't be via a static textbook. It's the worst way imaginable to learn a Sign language. Luckily, there's the dvd, but I'm giving that away too.;)

But now, it dawned to me that I truly, deeply* have no need of that damn book. And it was a wonderful way to start my "minimalist journey". It would have probably never happened without the help of Everett Bogue and his marvelous 46 Ways to Let Go over at Far Beyond the Stars (probably my favorite minimalist blog at the moment). You should check it if you've got a minute - especially numbers 4, 11, 24, 32 & 36. ;)

But, the day after, I decided to do something else - I dared to open his blog. Was it a minimalist decision? Damned if I know. But it sure did go towards my desire to learn to live sustainably and enjoy every second of every day without having to buy stuff to make myself happy. Someone else's journey would probably look different; I started by watching the sunrises (and taking pictures of them as well). It feels great.

And then there's today, when I realized that I probably should make one minimalist decision every day, and, even more, blog about it. Today I decided to stop trashing the leftover cardboard tubes of our toilet paper (which I did out of mere laziness for years) and put them, like everything else, in the paper-to-be-recycled box. Whew, I'm glad I got rid of that old, dark little secret.;)

And I decided to call my decisions Minimalist Resolutions. Why the hell not? It sure makes me want to stick to the plan and do good by becoming a minimalist.

(Just to tell you a little secret - there's no plan. :) None whatsoever. I'm just having the time of my life and writing about it.)

ps. Do check the wonderfully beautiful things the artist Yuken Teruya creates from toilet paper rolls over at his Studio. :)


(* Attack of the Clones, anyone? And yes... I am a geek.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment