Pages

March 14, 2010

The One Thing That Makes You Feel Good

Photobucket

It's strange, actually. There seem to be no exceptions to this. The one thing that is always sure to make you feel better...
...is exercise.

It has something to do with our internal body chemistry. (It's endorphins, that I know. Wish I knew more.) The thing is that I feel it, no matter what the doctors say. The hardest part is to start the exercise, almost every time, but once you're in, the blood rushes and your whole body conspires against you to make you feel good.

The sad part is that it's one hell of an achievement just to start. I used to exercise every single day for a couple of months, but once I got out of my routine, it all went dead. Now I wish I could make myself pick up those dumbbells again, or maybe even do a couple of push-ups,  but I never seem to find the time. Surfing the net, no problem. Reading some crappy detective novel, I'm in. But doing myself a favour so big I can never seem to repay myself, hell, no. I feel so stupid.

The problem is that it somehow seems illogical to "waste" my precious free time on exercise. Everything else in my everyday life somehow has a greater perceived value for me. Reading is intellectual, surfing the net - well, it certainly beats squats. And that truly is a shame. Because, ten years from now - hey, even ten months from now - I will really be glad that I did those squats (and the bloody push-ups). Will I remember anything I've read today on any of the blogs? Not sure. During my days of active exercising, I used to notice a lot of progress in my whole body - and, because of the good feeling afterwards - in my mind as well. It beats depression, every single time.

I used to notice that even in the long gone days when I went to the gym, but it was all mixed up in the excitement of actually doing something good for my body and the sweat and the pain and the long journey home from the gym. When I exercise at home, I don't really sweat. I don't even feel that much pain, maybe when I get rusty or overwork myself. Here, I really feel better, just better, but also illogically happier and more inclined to do other stuff, say, study.

So, you don't need sweets. (Well, sometimes you do, but that's another thing.;) You don't need television, nor your mp3, nor a happy pill. (Unless your problem go way deeper than simple laziness and a mildish feeling of unhappiness.) You just need to shake your booty.

I can't wait to start working on mine again!

No comments:

Post a Comment